Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mama Bear

Okay, my Mama bear instincts kicked in today full swing...oh my gosh, I was a protective mother bear!!

I took Sophie to "Cafe Sip N Play", a really cool place where the kids play and the moms can relax/read/drink coffee/chat. This was the 1st time I've been there that Sophie could actually play in there, and not be stuck in the crawlers area. She was a little tentative just to go off and play, she's a cautious little thing at first, and she was just taking it all in, all the kids, all the noise. Every once in awhile she looked around for me, and when she saw me, a huge smile came across her face and she waved, then went back to "playing."

Well, while we were there, there was this little girl, about 18 months or so (and I know this because I've seen her in the nursery at church before) who would come up to Sophie and push her out of the way. The first time, the little girl was playing at the "train table" and Sophie was standing there watching. I think the girl thought Sophie was going to take her train, so she pushed her a little bit. Sophie got this scared look on her face, but moved away to something else. This little girl kept following Sophie and would give her a shove. Most of the times, Sophie stayed on her feet. At one point (as I was on my way to go get my Sophie, fuming) this little girl shoved her down in this play area, and stood over her. I just heard a little whimper and saw Sophie's lower lip quivering and little tears coming out. Oh, I picked her up and she just held onto me so tight.

I guess I have never experienced these "mama bear" feelings to this extent. I wanted to march right up to that little girl and give her a good "talking to" (or at least to her mom, who was sitting chatting with a friend, not watching her daughter). This is the first time...I can't imagine how I"ll be when Sophie comes home from school with hurt feelings, or if a pet dies, or something else that causes Sophie to be sad or scared. Man, I don't know if I can handle this!:)

1 comment:

Deanna said...

Aww poor Sophie! Addison is cautious and used to not stand up for herself much, so I totally know how that feels. You just want to flip out on the kid that pushed your kid! You can't stop that Mama Bear instinct!