Thursday, May 8, 2008

It's my birthday

So today is my birthday!! I used to be the BIGGEST fan of birthdays. I love to do fun things for others on their birthdays, and love to be treated special on mine. I always have. On years where things have been "low key", I have been bummed. I am not the kind of person who likes being the center of attention usually, but 1 day a year, yah, I'll take that.

I had to go to work this morning...the last few years I've taken my birthday off of work. So it felt like a normal day. Jeremy was a sweetie though and decorated the kitchen area with streamers and had breakfast ready for me. My kids were very excited that it was my birthday and I got lots of cards and a beautiful rose.

I don't know, but for some reason, this is the first year that I feel "old". 28 doesn't sound very "young" anymore (to me, that is. I'm sure in 10-20 years I'll be like, "man, oh to be 28 again". I guess it's because it's not the "mid twenties" anymore, but "late twenties". I still view myself as a child. I see kids in college, freshmen even, and think of myself as their age.

I think I inherited this "don't want to grow up" gene from my dad. He is 61 and looks about 15 years younger, works out still and is in good shape. I hope I"m like that!

Overall, it was a good day. Not like birthdays of old, but nothing bad :) Just getting old

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy birthday!!! (sorry I'm late)

I know what you mean but I have the opposite problem...my birthdays kinda tend to suck...lol. Not because I dread getting older, it just works out that bad things happen on or around that day. I have a little time yet to prepare...my birthday is a month after yours.

Jen said...

You're not alone! There was something about my 28th birthday where I just felt like "Blech. I'm old." For whatever reason that felt "older" to me than even turning 30 did!

Glad to hear you had a great day though! :)