Friday, November 12, 2010

Procedure

Day # 12: I am thankful for my precious miracle boy, Tanner. He has brought so much joy and laughter and energy to our home! Please pray for him tomorrow morning as he is having a not so fun sedated procedure to check his kidney. Since he only has one kidney, he needs it to be HEALTHY, so please pray that the kidney reflux he had at birth is GONE!


Tanner was SUCH a little trooper this morning at his VCUG (to check for his kidney reflux). A not fun procedure where he had a catheter put in, then they inflate his bladder a few times with this contrasting liquid, so they could see if any urine was refluxing back from the bladder to the kidney. At 1 month old when he had this procedure done before, it showed that he had Level 2 Kidney Reflux. Level 1 is the lowest, 4 is the highest. The dr, at that time, said that most people with level 2 kidney reflux have it go away on it's own, hopefully within a few years. In rare cases, people with Level 2 reflux need to have surgery to fix it. Sometimes medication is given to keep off kidney infections. Since Tanner only has 1 kidney, it is a higher concern to keep that 1 kidney healthy.

This morning, I was more worried about the fact that he couldn't eat/drink anything (had to fast since last night). He had moderate sedation, so he was awake but very "high", lol. Giggly, loopy, drunk are good words to describe him. Did great through the whole procedure, and just had a hard time in the car on the way home...so tired and hungry, but wouldn't eat.

So we will know more when we meet with the urologist next Friday, but the dr today said there is STILL reflux. Probably about the same level. We were believing that the reflux was gone, so guess we just need to up our prayers for that.

It was hard for me to see him go through that. I think, most of the time, I sometimes "forget" about his kidney stuff. Going through my pregnancy with him was a scary time as dr's were trying to figure out what he had and given us very scary prognosis's. Then with him being so healthy and energetic and not having any issues because of his kidneys, I forget. Today was a huge reminder of the health implications, but also, an AMAZING reminder of Tanner's testimony and the fact that in utero, his ultrasounds showed things a lot worse than they are. I need to keep reminding myself of that whenever I start feeling that fear or discouragement about this. God's hand is on Tanner and I KNOW He will take care of my precious little boy.

2 comments:

Kylie and crew. said...

Wow.....what a miracle boy Tanner truly is! I will be praying for his reflux to be GONE! I love your perspective of God's hand on Tanner's life....it's so true....there is a huge plan for your little boy!

hvk said...

thinking of you and tanner and the rest of your family, and hoping for good news from the doctor. i'm glad to hear that your little guy did well with his procedure today- what a trooper! keep up the good work, mama!