Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Good-bye, beloved soo-soo...

Well, it's another sign that my precious little girl is growing up, and far too quickly for this mom! Sophie's beloved "soo soo" (ie. soother, binky, pacifier, whatever you call it!) is no longer a part of Sophie's life. Now, you have to understand, Sophie has only ever used her soo soo for bed, we've never given it to her any other time. She loves this thing beyond belief. When she sees it she'll clap and shriek and run to get it as quickly as she can. Because of how much she loves it, I was dreading the thought of ever trying to wean her from it.

So last week, one day for her nap, I said to her "No soo-soo, Sophie", and just gave her her blankie and laid her down. Oh, she cried and yelled "Mommy! Soo-soo now!" So I go in and give it to her. (It broke my heart to hear that).

Fast-forward to Saturday. At night time I got out this stuffed bear she loved and she wanted it for bed. I said "Soo-soo or bear". She chose soo-soo and went to bed. I did the same thing on Sunday and she chose bear! I figured she'd be up all night. Nope, slept the whole night. At nap time, I didn't even offer her the soo-soo, just gave her the bear. She asked for it a few times but I rocked her to sleep. Ever since then, she has gone to sleep FINE. She'll ask for it, but I'll just tell her, "You have your baby/bear (whatever she chooses), time for sleep" and she goes right down.

I was expecting a battle. Funny thing is, I am the one having a hard time with it! I think I was more attached to it then Sophie was. I almost want to take her soothers and get them bronzed or something. This is just another indication that Sophie is growing up. It is going by far too quickly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you brave mommy!!! Eva still uses her "nuk" but only at bedtime. I really don't have any plans of taking it away soon though because I figure it might help her transition with the twins better. We'll see.