Saturday, April 7, 2007

Weight loss (or lack there-of)

You know, I was soooo happy when I lost about 25 of my 40 pregnancy pounds right away after I had Sophie. I loved when people commented about how I looked and I thought, "Wow, this was EASY!" I lost a few more pounds and I was 5 pounds away from my pre-preggo weight when something happened...I stopped losing weight! I thought, Okay, no big deal. Well, wrong. I started eating like crap, no self-control, and low and behold I gained back 15 pounds. Yuck. So, I have made MANY strides in trying to lose that weight, including exercising (walking or something) and trying to eat healthy. I've lost a few pounds here and there and then ended up gaining it all back. I have always struggled with trying to keep my weight at-bay. Well, 1 month ago I just got so fed up with my back and forth, "lose a few, gain them back" that I decided to come up with a "plan". So I did.

I wrote out in DETAILED form what I would and would not eat, how much, etc. I needed to do that as I have absolutely no self-discipline when it comes to food. It's been working! The first week, I lost 3 pounds! 2nd week, I lost 2 pounds, 3rd week, I lost 1 pound (do you see a pattern here?) I weighed myself yesterday, exactly 1 week later and....I lost 0 pounds. Bummer!! I hadn't done anything differently, in fact was even being MORE careful with eating and portions and hadn't even had sweets all week. Now I know why I always "stop" whatever "diet" I do at 4 weeks, b/c that's when it seems to taper off with the weight loss.

I can blame it on the fact that I'm still breast-feeding so need to be careful about my calorie intake, or on the fact that I was on the pill which made my appetite increase 100 fold...or I can just blame it on nothing and keep going with this "plan" and hope that on my next weigh-in date, I will actually have lost weight. My goal was to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight by Sophie's 1st birthday....that is in exactly 5 weeks...can I lose 12 pounds in 5 weeks??? I hope so! But even if I don't, if I can get even a bit closer to that, I'll feel happy.

Funny thing is, even though there was no weight loss in poundage this week, I tried on a pair of my "skinnier pants" that I haven't worn since I was 5 months pregnant (I didn't wear maternity clothes until 6 1/2 months pregnant)...and, I can actually get them over my thighs! I can't do up the button, but you know what? It feels good to at least put them on. So I'm wearing them today...with a long shirt of course:)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think breast feeding and the pill have ALOT to do with your lack of weight loss! I know when I was breastfeeding...I didn't lose anything! "They" tell you the weight will fall off if you breastfeed...so not the case for me! And the pill...when I was on it, I gained weight. BIG time.

Keep up the diet and the exercise...it is healthier for you afterall (like I am one to talk...as I massively consume Eva's easter candy!) and good luck! I know you can do it!

Anonymous said...

Good for you Lori on keeping positive and knowing that you CAN lose the weight! You know that Im in the same boat right now and your motivation is such an inspiration to me! Let's keep each other motivated!
Tobi