Monday, August 27, 2007

Mixed Feelings...

I'm going back to work tomorrow. After a WONDERFUL and restful summer off, getting to spend every day with Sophie, I am feeling a lot of mixed emotions about going back to work. I have loved being here every day with Sophie, not having to worry about "oh no she had a bad night, she's going to be a bear for the baby-sitter", or "we'll be out late tonight, and up so early for when I get her up for work, we maybe shouldn't go out tonight". It has been such a great summer.

On the other hand, after a really rough teaching year last year...I think so many things contributed to that; me teaching in a new grade so new curriculum, doing a job share for the first time, being out on maternity leave for the first month so always feeling a bit like a "sub" after I came back, but ultimately, the kids were just tougher. But my teaching partner and I have talked a lot this summer and we are really excited for this new year approaching. We are trying a bunch of new things, really focusing more on "community building" for the first weeks, and making the classroom feel more "homey", with plants, and lamps around. I feel more confident in the curriculum, and I love working with a teaching partner....

I know I am sooooo blessed to be able to do a job share...so that I can be home with Sophie for 4 or 5 days a week, and yet still get to teach, something that I do love (most days). But I think just the thought that "the summer is over" and having to drop Sophie off at the baby sitters in her jammies at 7am tomorrow is making me a bit teary eyed...

4 comments:

Kristi Mangan said...

Good Luck! I so wish I was in your situation, job sharing to me sounds perfect!! I hope you have a great school year!

Dee Ann said...

I know it must be sad to have to leave Sophie again. I think back to that first day when I had to leave Allison when she wasn't even a month old to go back to work and I get a little teary eyed. You are very fortunate to get to spend so much time with Sophie each week and during the breaks you get from school. Hugs to you for this rough time for you!

Anonymous said...

((HUGS)) - I hope today went okay!

mommyto3kiddos said...

Lori...hope your first day back was a god one. I hate those first days back from maternity leave. The time off goes all too quickly!